Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 3


Day 3: An Ode to Michael Jackson’s Son, Blanket.

The following post is a digression, but it is far too ridiculous to resist sharing it with my fellow service industry soldiers.

I truly wish that I was falsifying or exaggerating this situation. Not because I wish that it did not occur, but it creates unease for what this situation means for society.
A man called the front desk at approximately 9pm. He stated that he had been quite cold the previous night. He then asked if he could get a blankie to keep him warm. No, that was not a misprint. He asked for a blankie. A full-grown man asked for a blankie.
Again, I wish that I were exaggerating in my recount of this situation, but the next interaction with this guest left me concerned. While I handed him the blanket he asked me how to use it. He asked me how to use the blanket. This was not a NASA created heating device. It was a standard blanket.  I explained that just had to open the blanket and spread it over his bed and then slip under the covers.
This interaction concerned me because this guest works for one of the top telecommunication companies in the country; otherwise, I would have found this interaction comical. What is the world coming to if we need to provide manuals for blankets?

Hope that this aids your survival or at least entertains you during your ordeals.
Good luck. Godspeed. 

No comments: